Tuesday 30 December 2008

Twilight Zone

Here we are then. Mid way between introvert Christmas Day when the western world retires inward to hearth and family and New Year's Eve which explodes us extrovert into the next chapter.

Lots of people say that New Year's Eve is Christmas but with people you actually want to be with. I'm not sure that's right - I've spent way too many NYEs crushed, parched, cold, wet and desperate for the pretend coals of of my lovely pretend fire.

But this bit here. Right now. This bit is nice. People look a bit dazed I think. London is a delight, half empty, but everything still tentatively open. You can go skating and have enough room to attempt that pirhouette. I had no problem getting a reservation at a very nice restaurant for lunch today. I like it.

This time also opens up a bit of space for thinking. I'm ploughing through my work, but also redesigning my to-do lists. Things like this little delight will help. Also reading Stephen Fry's blog and tweets (he's an avid tweeter) which is really inspirational. I love his passion for technology and his forensic knowledge. It's surprising and rather wonderful - I completely agree with his wishlist for the iphone. His posts are fabulously huge - not everyone can pull that off I think, but of course he can.

Feels like there are lots of opportunities at this time. But they need netting, like rare butterflies, catching and pinning down. All very well to feel it, but we also need to act on it too.

No comments: