Wednesday 24 December 2008

End of the year...

I like this time. I'm anticipating those few days between Christmas and New Year when thoughts and plans start to emerge. Makes me contemplative which is a rare and good thing.

I've been thinking about my favourite poems. This one here is Sea Fever by John Masefield. Everyone knows it. Spike Milligan wrote a great pastiche of it. But I love it. When I read it to the kids I can barely finish without a tear in the eye. It's the rhythm, the alliteration, the fact that its technically spot on. And the long trick's almost over for the year too...

Sea Fever, John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sails shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume and the seagull crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife:
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow rover,
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

No comments: