Tuesday 17 February 2009

Margaret, Sue and Diana the geography mistress



I was ten when this aired on Nationwide in 1982 and, old duffer that I am, I remember it clearly. Just saw this show and thought it worth posting the clip. I think it shows the beginnings of a fearless dialogue with politicians. I love the look of almost uncomprehending rage in Mrs Thatcher about two minutes in, unused to being quizzed by such a well informed punter. No wonder Denis thought she was a put up job.

There is a certain something about Tories being interviewed pre 1997, and Mrs Thatcher captures it here. Never, never an admission of fallibility. I wonder if that has changed, or whether we could be heading back into that world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brown: heading back into that world. Obama: showing it is still possible to use contrition as a strength. If you have the talent.